How Do I Reset the Check Engine Light on my RAM 1500?
Are you wondering how to reset the check engine light on a RAM 1500? It’s easy! Simply follow the following procedure:
- Disconnect the negative cable from your battery
- Wait 20 minutes
- Reconnect the negative cable
By doing this, you should reset the internal computer on your RAM 1500, and in turn, reset your RAM 1500 check engine light. In some older models, you may also need to drive your truck for up to 50 miles around Westlake and Round Rock to re-calibrate your computer. Note that when your battery is disconnected, it not only resets the computer, but also resets security and diagnostic systems as well.
Why is My Check Engine Light On?
You’ve seen how easy it is to reset the check engine light on a RAM 1500. However, it’s of the utmost importance that you determine what triggered the light in the first place! Learn more in this guide from Covert Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram.
From a loose gas cap to a faulty sensor, there are dozens of reasons why your RAM 1500 check engine light turned on. Browse our following guide to see a few reasons why your Ram 1500 check engine light may have turned on.
- Make Sure it’s the Check Engine Light: It seems obvious, but because there are so many lights on your dashboard, it can be easy to mistake the Service Required light, for example, for the Check Engine light.
- Check Your Gas Cap: This is the most common and simple cause for a check engine light. Simply unscrew your gas cap, and carefully replace it properly. Follow the reset procedure above and ensure your light resets.
- Check the Codes: Your diagnostic system generates a code when it notices a malfunction. A code reader will decipher these codes and give you a clear idea of what is causing it. DIY types can purchase one of a code reader to help take care of the problem, but most Leander and Pflugerville area drivers would rather trust the certified auto techs at Covert Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram.
Rely on the Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram Service Experts at Covert Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram
No matter what is causing your RAM 1500 check engine light to turn on, you can trust the professionals at Covert Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram to get the job done right. Schedule a service appointment with our team to get any issues taken care of today. Explore our current service specials and to see how you can get a great deal on auto service near Leander, and contact us if you have any questions. Also be sure to compare the RAM 1500 vs. RAM 2500 and learn about RAM 1500 fuel efficiency to ensure you’re making the perfect decision for you.
More From Covert Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram
New RAM 1500 for Sale InventoryContact Us The new 2020 RAM 1500 has hit the Austin market, and drivers who want the latest version of this classic truck have a lot of options when it comes to trim levels. The 2020 RAM comes with the following options: 2020 RAM 1500 Tradesman 2020 RAM 1500 Big…
The Jeep Wrangler offers legendary off-roading performance, and the new 2020 Jeep Wrangler packs an incredible interior to keep up. From the comfort of a fully-loaded cabin, you can easily handle your Westlake commute or traverse the road less-traveled near Round Rock. The exterior style and design of the Wrangler will allow you to stand out…
You already know that a Jeep Wrangler offers unmistakable styling known the world around. But what Jeep Wrangler colors best represent your lifestyle and personality? If you’ve been wondering, “what colors does the Wrangler come in?” you’re not alone! Our team at Covert Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram will help you choose between Jeep Wrangler color options so you can…